English for Everyone

<b>English for Everyone</b>
Stephen Lau's website to help you get the wisdom to live as if everything is a miracle.

Monday, April 1, 2013

Learn Some American Idioms (5)


Learn some American idioms. The English language is rich in idiomatic expressions. A student studying American English as a foreign language with only limited knowledge of idioms will find himself or herself in a serious disadvantage in reading, discussions and debates.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
(5)

Lord it over: to dominate
e.g. Your boss lords it over everyone in the office.

Have one's nose in a book: reading a book
e.g. I like books, and I always have my nose in a book.

Johnny-on-the-spot: at the right place at the right time
e.g. Here you are, Johnny-on-the-spot. You're the person we need!

Rack one's brain: think hard
e.g. I racked my brain the whole morning, but I couldn't come up with an explanation.

Take forty winks: take a nap
e.g. She is taking her forty winks now; come back later.

In the wrong: on the wrong side of the issue
e.g. I can't argue with you; you always think that everyone else is in the wrong.

Lose one's train of thought: forget what one is saying
e.g. If you are not paying attention, it is easy to lose your train of thought.

Have other fish to fry: other things to do
e.g. I cannot help you right now: I have other fish to fry.

In the wind:about to happen
e.g. Is it in the wind that we are going to get a pay rise?

Take something or someone on faith: believe with little evidence
e.g. I'm telling you the truth. Just take it on faith!

Stephen Lau

Read my book Effective Writing Made Simple. To download the Amazon Kindle edition for only $4.40, click here; to purchase the paperback edition for only $7.00, click here; to download the e-book for only $4.40 from ClickBank, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment