English for Everyone

<b>English for Everyone</b>
Stephen Lau's website to help you get the wisdom to live as if everything is a miracle.

Thursday, August 3, 2017

Learn Some Slang and Colloquial Expressions

Learn some slang and colloquial expressions:

Take it on the chin: accept without evasion.
e.g. You were yelling at him; he took it on the chin, without a word.

Darned sight more: a lot more.
e.g. "Do you think he should put more effort on this?" "A darned sight more!

Take the rap: take the blame or responsibility of another person.

e.g. If you want to do it, go ahead, but I'm not going to take the rap.
"

Streets ahead of: far superior to.
e.g. As far as computer technology is concerned, he is streets ahead of me.

Taken short: in need of urination.
e.g. I was taken short, and I rushed to the bathroom before I could finish the talk.

Alive and kicking: in good health.
"How is she doing?" "Very much alive and kicking."

Drive up the wall: irritate intensely.
e.g. Don't drive me up the wall every time I see you.

Talk through the back of one's neck: talk nonsense.
e.g. Look what he's doing: talking through the back of his neck.

Stephen Lau
Copyright© by Stephen Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment