English for Everyone

<b>English for Everyone</b>
Stephen Lau's website to help you get the wisdom to live as if everything is a miracle.

Friday, December 8, 2017

Everyday Slang Expressions for ESL Learners

In the raw: naked.
e.g. Did you see that man on the street? He was dancing in the raw.

Do one's bit: do one's share of responsibility.
e.g. I've done my bit; I hope it's going to work.

Are you with me?: understand or agree with me.
e.g. I've been explaining this for an hour. Are you with me?

Get out of bed of the wrong side: be irritable.
e.g. Your Mom seems to have got out of bed on the wrong side.

Bang out: reveal.
e.g. If you go into politics, you must be prepared to let all your secrets bang out.

Jam full / packed: fully packed.
e.g. The room is jam packed with boxes.

Gift of the gab: ability to give effective speeches.
e.g. The new Mayor has the gift of the gab: people like listening to him.

Keep one's head above water: stay out of debt or a difficult situation.
e.g. In this economic environment, it is not easy to keep your head above water.

Hard at it: busy.
e.g. "Are you working on the project?" "You bet! I'm hard at it."

Go down with: be accepted or approved by.
e.g. The President's speech went down with the Spanish community.

Stephen Lau     
Copyright© by Stephen Lau





No comments:

Post a Comment