English for Everyone

<b>English for Everyone</b>
Stephen Lau's website to help you get the wisdom to live as if everything is a miracle.

Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Common Colloquial Expressions

No can do: I cannot do it..
e.g. "Can you do this now?" "No can do.”

Turkey: a failure; a sham.
e.g. The whole business was a turkey—there were no investors at all!.

Dead set: very determined.
e.g. We were dead set to finish the project despite the shortage of funds.

Jaw breaker: difficult word to pronounce.

e.g. Can you help me with this jaw breaker? It looks like a foreign word to me.

Try as I may: I regret or fail to do something.
e.g. "Can you do something with this machine?" "Try as I may, I can't make it work."

Worst-case scenario: the worst consequence.
e.g.  A blizzard is coming. The worst-case scenario is that all public transport will be suspended.

Pipe dreamSomething impossible or unrealistic
e.g. The Mayor said that building another highway would be a pipe dream in the current economic environment.

Not budging / Not giving an inch / Sticking to my gunsBeing firm.
e.g. "We're not going to cancel the charges. We're not budging."
e.g. Despite the protests, the government would not give an inch.
e.g.  "I'm not moving out. That's out of the question. I'm sticking to my guns."

See to it right awayTake care of a complaint or problem.
e.g. "The tap is leaking." "Yes, I'll see to it right away."

Call for an apologyDemand an apology.
e.g. Your reckless behavior calls for an apology.

In a nutshellIn summary
e.g. "We're having serious financial and relationship problems." "In a nutshell, you want to divorce your wife?"

Beats me: I don't know; I've no idea.
e.g. "Do you know how this works?" "Bets me."

Stephen Lau
Copyright© by Stephen Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment