English for Everyone

<b>English for Everyone</b>
Stephen Lau's website to help you get the wisdom to live as if everything is a miracle.

Sunday, March 24, 2024

American Idioms


Learn some common everyday American expressions.

You could have fooled me: I would have thought otherwise.
e.g. "We're not getting along well; we've too many differences." "You could have fooled me! I thought the two of you are cut out for each other."

What gives?: what's wrong? what's the problem?
e.g. "You were screaming at each other. What gives?"

Get right on it: do it immediately.
e.g. "Can you help me with this software?" "I'll get right on it."

Search me: I don't know; I don't have the answer.
e.g. "Do you know the author of this quotation?" "Search me."

You don't know the half of it: it is worse than what you think.
e.g. "The company is having some financial problems." "You don't know the half of it. I tell you what; it might even go bankrupt."

Says who?: who do you think you are to say that?
e.g. "I heard you were reprimanded by your boss for being late again." "Says who?"

You said a mouthful: you said what needs to be said.
e.g. "The movie was disappointing: the story was uninteresting; the acting was bad; and it was too long." "Yes, you said a mouthful!"

What would you say if: asking for an opinion; what about?
e.g. "I heard you were recently offered a job." "What would you say if I decline the offer?"

No sweat: it's ok; no problem.
e.g. "I'm sorry I'm late." "No sweat! We've all the time in the world."

What about it?
: so what?
e.g. "You were late for the meeting." "What about it? I didn't want to come in the first place."

Over my dead body: absolutely not!
e.g. "Can I come with you? " "Over my dead body!"

Knock it off: shut up!; be quiet.
e.g. "Knock it off! You and your big mouth!"

Can't beat that: no one can do better than that.
e.g. "Of all people, I finished the project in less than a week. Can't beat that."

It works for me: it's fine with me

No can do: I cannot do it..
e.g. "Can you do this now?" "No can do."

So much for that: that's the end of that
e.g. "Well, so much for that. I'm not going to get involved any more. That's it!"

Stephen Lau
Copyright© by Stephen Lau

No comments:

Post a Comment